10 Famous Alcohol Quotes
- F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Frank Sinatra
- Oscar Wilde
- Ernest Hemingway
- Winston Churchill
- Benjamin Franklin
- Dean Martin
- Bette Davis
- Chelsea Handler
- Dorothy Parker
Throughout the years, there have been countless people struggling with alcohol abuse or a drinking problem. No one is immune from addiction, including those we may look up to like actors, politicians, musicians, and authors.
Some famous characters in the media make jokes about alcohol, such as Homer Simpson’s quote, “Here’s to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life’s problems.”
However, alcoholism is serious and many of our favorite celebrities have famously struggled over the years, including Humphrey Bogart, Drew Carey, Stephen King, W.C. Fields, and Mark Twain.
Some have said or wrote things about alcohol that have become well-known or famous anecdotes. Here are ten of the most famous alcohol quotes.
1. “Here’s to alcohol, the rose colored glasses of life.” — F. Scott Fitzgerald
The famous author of “The Great Gatsby” offers us this famous quote. If rose-colored glasses allow us to see the world favorably, perhaps drinking may allow us to have a bit of fun and ignore the rest.
While drinking in moderation may be fine, it’s important that you see life as beautiful in its own right, without alcohol.
2. “I feel bad for people who don’t drink. When they wake up in the morning, that’s as good as they’re going to feel all day.” — Frank Sinatra
Many who consume too much alcohol can develop hangovers the next day. While Frank Sinatra pokes fun at this, over-drinking or binge drinking can lead to serious side effects and consequences.
3. “After the first glass, you see things as you wish they were. After the second, you see things as they are not. Finally, you see things as they really are, and that is the most horrible thing in the world.” — Oscar Wilde
This quote and the first quote can be paired together nicely. Constantly re-evaluating the world around you can be a good thing, but we mustn’t become distracted by drugs or alcohol to the point that we can’t function in the world without them.
“Work is the curse of the drinking classes,” another quote by Wilde, implies that people with less money drink more. This isn’t necessarily true, as alcohol can be abused by anyone of any background.
4. “Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.” — Ernest Hemingway
While funny, this quote is definitely true. Since alcohol impairs your judgment and lowers inhibitions, you might find yourself saying a thing or two you weren’t expecting to say.
5. “I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.” — Winston Churchill
This is another humorous quote that ties into the previous one. However funny it may be, we must not forget that having impaired judgment while interacting with others can severely damage relationships with friends and loved ones.
6. “Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance.” — Benjamin Franklin
Benjamin Franklin makes an excellent point here, but not one you might expect. Essentially, he’s stating that alcohol reduces stress. While alcohol is likely used in this manner, it’s not a safe habit to de-stress.
Self-medicating stress or other issues with alcohol can worsen underlying problems and contribute to unhealthy drinking patterns.
7. “If you drink, don’t drive. Don’t even putt.” — Dean Martin
Although he makes light of a serious issue, Dean Martin is correct in stating that you shouldn’t drink and drive. A number of fatalities occur every year due to alcohol-related negligence or impairment behind the wheel.
8. “There comes a time in every woman’s life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne.” — Bette Davis
Bette Davis joked about needing champagne at certain times in her life. While older generations may have seen alcohol as a lifestyle, recent times suggest alcohol misuse as a public health issue that can lead to financial trouble, damaged relationships, and even death.
9. “There are two kinds of people I don’t trust: people who don’t drink and people who collect stickers.” — Chelsea Handler
Always known for pushing the envelope, Chelsea Handler has been vocal about her struggles with alcohol abuse and addiction. Although she offers funny drinking quotes along the way, this comedian still manages to inform people of the harm alcoholic beverages can cause.
10. “I like to have a martini, two at the very most. After three I’m under the table, after four I’m under my host.” — Dorothy Parker
Dorothy Parker’s funny quote raises important concerns. Many who become inebriated from alcohol may make decisions they otherwise wouldn’t. This includes having unprotected sex, accidental falls, and loss of coordination
Questions About Treatment?
Ark Behavioral Health offers 100% confidential substance abuse assessment and treatment placement tailored to your individual needs. Achieve long-term recovery.
100% confidential. We respect your privacy.
We've got you covered.
Receive 24/7 text support right away.
There is no obligation and you can opt out at any time.