In Minnesota, there are currently 658 substance use and mental health treatment facilities according to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
If you or a loved one suffers from addiction to drugs or alcohol, you can learn more about your treatment options.
How To Find & Choose Addiction Treatment In Minnesota
In Minnesota, the Department of Human Services oversees substance use disorder and mental health treatment throughout the state. If you or a loved one suffers from addiction, you have a variety of options for finding treatment, including:
- speaking with your primary care provider to get a referral
- using SAMHSA’s Behavioral Health Treatment Locator
- contacting Minnesota 211 to learn about substance abuse and mental health services
- contacting treatment providers directly
As you search for a rehab facility, it’s important to select a recovery program that’s a good fit for your needs.
Important factors to consider include:
- accreditation from a national or state agency that demonstrates the facility’s commitment to a high standard of care
- individualized treatment plans that are designed based on each patient’s unique background, circumstances, and goals of treatment
- co-occurring disorders treatment for those who struggle with a dual diagnosis of addiction and mental health issues
- evidence-based services, which are known to be effective in the treatment of substance use disorders
- licensed drug and alcohol counselors who understand the complex needs of individuals who suffer from addiction
Minnesota Drug & Alcohol Treatment Programs
The Minnesota Department of Human Services details a range of substance abuse treatment programs available throughout the state. To address a wide variety of individual needs, the state offers:
- chemical dependency assessments
- detox centers
- inpatient treatment programs
- outpatient treatment programs
- extended care
- sober-living and transitional housing
The level of care you require will depend on the results of your chemical dependency assessment and the recommendation of the counselor who conducts your screening.
Medical Drug & Alcohol Detoxification
Medical drug and alcohol detox programs provide 24/7, short-term care for individuals who need to withdraw from addictive substances safely.
Detox programs may include behavioral support and approved medications to combat withdrawal symptoms and prepare you for the next stage of your alcohol or drug treatment.
Residential/Inpatient Drug Rehab Centers
Inpatient rehab centers in Minnesota provide 24-hour care and support in either a short- or long-term setting. When you undergo residential treatment, you’ll be required to live at the rehab facility for the duration of your addiction treatment program.
As part of a residential treatment program, you’ll have access to a variety of resources, which may include:
- dual diagnosis treatment for co-occurring mental health disorders
- individual and group therapy
- holistic care or wellness approaches
- cognitive behavioral therapy
Outpatient Addiction Treatment
In an outpatient treatment program, you may receive many of the same therapies used in residential treatment. However, outpatient drug or alcohol rehab is an ambulatory service, which means you’ll need to travel to and from the rehab facility for each treatment session.
Typically, treatment facilities offer outpatient programs at several levels of care, including:
Medication-assisted treatment (MAT) in Minnesota is a specialized form of care designed to help individuals who suffer from opioid or alcohol addiction.
MAT programs combine behavioral therapy with approved medications, such as buprenorphine, naltrexone, or methadone. Combined, medications and behavioral therapy help rebalance and support your brain and body.
Addiction recovery is a lifelong process, and for many individuals, a strong support system and access to community resources are essential. Aftercare can include:
- 12-step participation
- individual and group therapy
- community education and vocational resources
- transitional housing
Using Insurance For Addiction Treatment In Minnesota
Many addiction treatment facilities throughout Minnesota accept private insurance, as well as Medicaid and Medicare, to help cover the cost of rehab.
To find out whether a rehab center accepts your insurance and what your benefits entail, you can:
- call the number on the back of your insurance card
- speak with a treatment facility intake representative to discuss your insurance benefits
- talk to your HR benefits administrator if you have health insurance through your job
If You Don’t Have Insurance
If you need addiction treatment but don’t have insurance, you may qualify for payment assistance through Minnesota’s Consolidated Chemical Dependency Treatment Fund. Certain rehab centers also offer scholarships that can help cover the cost of treatment.
Addiction Treatment At Ark Behavioral Health
At Ark Behavioral Health, we’re proud to offer a complete continuum of care for addiction treatment. We serve individuals throughout the United States, including Minnesota residents who are willing to travel.
Our treatment programs include:
- medically supervised detoxification
- residential treatment
- intensive outpatient rehab
- partial hospitalization treatment
- standard outpatient treatment
- continuing care and transitional services
We operate four of the highest-quality treatment facilities in Massachusetts:
- Spring Hill Recovery Center in Ashby, MA
- Bedrock Recovery Center in Canton, MA
- Recovering Champions in Falmouth, MA
To learn more about our rehab centers and individualized treatment programs, please contact our team today.
Minnesota Addiction Treatment FAQ
How Do I Access Treatment In Minnesota?
To access addiction treatment services in Minnesota, you can:
- Call a treatment provider directly
- Contact Minnesota 211, which provides free and confidential connections to substance abuse resources
- Contact the Minnesota Department of Mental Health
- Call the 24/7 SAMHSA addiction hotline at 800-662-HELP
- Speak with your primary care provider to ask for a referral
What Does Addiction Treatment Look Like In Minnesota?
Addiction treatment in Minnesota is based on each individual’s unique needs and goals of treatment.
Rehab facilities employ a variety of therapeutic and clinical treatment approaches, which may include:
- individual counseling
- group therapy
- medication-assisted treatment
Typically, treatment facilities offer a full continuum of care, from detoxification and inpatient rehab to outpatient services and continuing care programs.
Does Insurance Cover Addiction Treatment In Minnesota?
Yes, many addiction treatment facilities in Minnesota accept private insurance, as well as public insurance like Medicaid and Medicare, to help cover the cost of care. Keep in mind that every insurance policy is different, as are the benefits it affords.
Can I Go To Drug Rehab In Minnesota Without Insurance?
If you don’t have insurance, you may still be able to receive addiction treatment in Minnesota. The state offers publicly funded treatment programs for individuals who demonstrate financial need.
Visit the Minnesota Department of Human Services to learn more about getting the help you need to pay for substance abuse treatment.
Are There Walk-in Opioid Clinics In Minnesota?
Yes, there are walk-in opioid treatment clinics located in several major cities in Minnesota, including Minneapolis, St. Paul, and Rochester.
These clinics administer FDA-approved medications, including methadone, Suboxone, and others, to help individuals who suffer from opioid use disorders.
Are There Free Or State-Funded Rehab Centers In Minnesota?
In Minnesota, the Department of Human Services helps low-income residents pay for the cost of addiction treatment through the Consolidated Chemical Dependency Treatment Fund.
How Long Does Drug Rehab Last In Minnesota?
Most drug rehab programs last 30, 60, or 90 days. However, the length of your program will depend on your treatment provider’s recommendation.