South Dakota Rehab Centers | Detox, Inpatient Drug Rehab, FAQ
- South Dakota Rehab Centers
- Detox Programs
- Inpatient Rehab
- Outpatient Rehab
- Intensive Methamphetamine Treatment
- Paying For Drug Rehab
- South Dakota Substance Abuse Facts
- Ark Behavioral Health
- Addiction Treatment FAQ
According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), there are 54 certified, professional addiction treatment facilities operating in the state of South Dakota.
These centers, located in Sioux Falls, Rapid City, Yankton, Watertown, Huron, Aberdeen, and elsewhere across the state, are approved to treat substance use disorders including alcohol abuse, opioid abuse, methamphetamine abuse, and other drug addictions.
Illicit Drug Use In South Dakota
Growing methamphetamine use and drug use by minors is of particular concern in the State of South Dakota:
- In 2018, 57 individuals died of drug overdose in South Dakota, with opioids involved in 28 of those cases and methamphetamine involved in 13.
- Half of all arrests made in the state are for drug crimes, compared to 29% in the United States as a whole.
- South Dakota’s juvenile arrest rate is double the national average, with one out of every five juvenile arrests involving drug use.
- Over 3,000 individuals were arrested for methamphetamine-related charges in 2018.
- 66 pounds of methamphetamine were seized by the DEA in 2018. In the first half of 2019 alone, that figure rose to 78 pounds.
How To Access Addiction Treatment In South Dakota
The South Dakota Department of Social Services Division of Behavioral Health accredits and contracts with substance use disorder treatment agencies, promoting substance use treatment, prevention, and recovery services.
This government agency provides guides and a list to help South Dakota residents access behavioral health treatment centers.
You or your loved ones may also access addiction treatment facilities in South Dakota by:
- speaking with your primary care provider
- contacting a preferred treatment center directly
- using the SAMHSA Behavioral Health Treatment Locator or helpline
Choosing An Addiction Treatment Program
As you consider your South Dakota addiction treatment options, it’s important that you look for a drug and alcohol rehab center with certain key features.
- accreditation from the South Dakota Department of Social Services Division of Behavioral Health or another state or national agency
- licensed drug and alcohol counselors who have met proper certification requirements to provide behavioral health treatment
- evidence-based treatment services based on research and efficacy
- a full continuum of care with multiple levels of intensity to accommodate the full range of substance use disorder severities
- co-occurring disorder treatments for individuals diagnosed with both substance use disorder and one or more other mental health issues
It may also be important to consider the cost of care and your payment options at various providers. According to the Department of Social Services, financial assistance may be available depending on your situation.
South Dakota Drug & Alcohol Treatment Programs
Available through contracted and accredited substance use disorder treatment agencies, these programs and services address the full continuum of addiction treatment, including:
- screenings and assessments
- early intervention
- medically supervised detox programs
- residential support services
- extended outpatient services
- group and family counseling and education
- self-help groups and other aftercare services
South Dakota Medical Drug & Alcohol Detox
Detoxification is the first step in the recovery process and involves stopping drug use cold-turkey or through a supervised tapering schedule.
Because drug and alcohol withdrawal can be uncomfortable and potentially harmful, medical detox services are available to provide safety and support through the process.
Services provided during the withdrawal process may include:
- 24-hour medical care and behavioral support
- IV fluids and nutritional support
- medications to lessen the side effects of withdrawal, if necessary
- other wellness services, if needed
Residential/Inpatient Drug Rehab
While receiving treatment in a residential recovery center, you’ll stay at the facility for the full length of your treatment. These intensive behavioral health services are often shorter-term than outpatient treatment programs and are favored for severe cases of substance use disorder.
Services provided may include:
- dual diagnosis treatment for co-occurring addiction and mental health issues
- medication-assisted treatment for opioid and alcohol addictions
- individual and group counseling and therapy
- holistic care like yoga, exercise, and mindfulness practices
- employment training and other support services
Outpatient Treatment In South Dakota
Outpatient treatment gives patients the freedom to live at home and commute to work normally while attending multiple treatment sessions each week at their local rehab facility.
Outpatient treatment may be a step-down level of care after inpatient treatment, or a less-intensive alternative to inpatient treatment.
Levels of care may include:
- standard outpatient programs, which typically provide access to support groups and educational programs
- intensive outpatient programs, a moderately intense form of outpatient care featuring counseling and therapy
- partial hospitalization or day treatment programs, the most intense form of outpatient care
Medication-assisted treatment (MAT) is designed to support individuals with physical dependency on alcohol or opioids. MAT programs generally feature:
- administration of approved medications including buprenorphine, methadone, or naltrexone
- therapy and counseling
- employment training or job assistance
Recovery is a lifelong journey and the best addiction treatment facilities offer long-term care and support in the form of aftercare services. These services are designed to help you develop positive, long-term habits contributing to lasting sobriety.
Aftercare support may include:
- peer and professional support
- sober-living or recovery housing
- case management
- ongoing education and vocational services
- community resources
Intensive Methamphetamine Treatment
Due to the specific challenges raised by the methamphetamine surge in South Dakota, and the difficulty of methamphetamine drug rehabilitation, the state of South Dakota has placed an emphasis on supporting Intensive Methamphetamine Treatment (IMT).
IMT rehabilitation services use long-term, evidence-based programming to serve individuals with severe methamphetamine use disorders. IMT programs are an extended treatment that allows time for recovery of cognitive capacity as well as aftercare.
IMT may include residential services, outpatient treatment, and long-term care coordination.
Using Health Insurance For Addiction Treatment In South Dakota
In South Dakota, many addiction treatment providers are happy to accept private health insurance, as well as Medicaid and Medicare, to help cover the cost of your care. Financial assistance may also be available through the South Dakota Department of Social Services.
To find out if your insurance covers your proposed treatment, and to inquire about in-network treatment facilities that can lower the cost of your care, you should need to call the number on the back of your insurance card.
South Dakota Substance Abuse Facts
South Dakota has lower rates of drug overdose deaths than the rest of the U.S. However, residents still face issues surrounding substance abuse, alcohol abuse, and mental health.
Some facts collected from the South Dakota Department of Health include:
- South Dakota reported 63 drug overdose deaths in 2020.
- Of the 63 deaths, 56% involved an opioid, and 32% involved fentanyl.
- Over 40% of 2020 drug overdose deaths involved methamphetamine or amphetamine.
- The age group most affected by drug overdose deaths in 2020 was 35 to 44 year olds.
- Over 20% of 2020 overdose victims also had an alcohol problem.
Addiction Treatment At Ark Behavioral Health
Ark Behavioral Health operates four leading addiction treatment facilities in Massachusetts, and welcomes patients from out of state. We are proud to provide a full suite of care for addiction treatment, including:
- medical detox
- residential treatment
- intensive outpatient rehab
- partial hospitalization treatment
- standard outpatient treatment
- aftercare support services
To learn more, please connect with us today.
South Dakota Addiction Treatment FAQ
How Do I Access Treatment In South Dakota?
To access substance abuse treatment in South Dakota or elsewhere around the nation, you should:
- contact your primary care provider to obtain a treatment referral
- speak with your insurance provider about in-network treatment options
- call a treatment provider directly
What Does Addiction Treatment Consist of In South Dakota?
Recovery programs in South Dakota vary from individual to individual, but often include a combination of medical detox, medication-assisted treatment, inpatient programs and/or outpatient treatment, behavioral therapy, cognitive therapy, and aftercare services.
Does Insurance Cover Addiction Treatment In South Dakota?
Yes, many treatment facilities accept private health insurance or Medicaid and Medicare to help pay for rehab expenses.
Can I Go To Rehab In South Dakota Without Insurance?
Even if you don’t have health insurance you may still be able to pay for rehab out of pocket and attend the rehab program. Financial assistance may be available to you through the South Dakota Department of Social Services.
How Long Does Drug Rehab Last In South Dakota?
National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) - South Dakota: Opioid-Involved Deaths and Related Harms
National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) - Understanding Drug Use and Addiction DrugFacts
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMSA) - Treatment Services Locator
South Dakota Department of Social Services - Substance Abuse Disorder Services
The New Republic - Locking People Up: South Dakota’s On It
South Dakota Department of Health - State Unintentional Drug Overdose Reporting System 2020 Data Report
Questions About Treatment?
Ark Behavioral Health offers 100% confidential substance abuse assessment and treatment placement tailored to your individual needs. Achieve long-term recovery.
100% confidential. We respect your privacy.
We've got you covered.
Receive 24/7 text support right away.
There is no obligation and you can opt out at any time.
People Also Read
- Indiana Drug Rehab Centers Near You
- Iowa Drug Rehab Centers Near You
- The Best Kansas Drug Rehab Centers
- Massachusetts Rehab Centers
- The Best Drug Rehab Centers In Minnesota
- Missouri Drug Rehab Centers
- Montana Drug Rehab Centers Near You
- Find Nebraska Drug Rehab Centers Near You
- The Best North Dakota Drug Rehab Centers
- The Best Wyoming Drug Rehab Centers