Celexa is the brand name for a prescription antidepressant called citalopram hydrobromide. It belongs to a class of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), which also includes escitalopram (Lexapro), fluoxetine (Prozac), and sertraline (Zoloft).
Like other SSRIs, Celexa can boost your mood by increasing your serotonin levels.
The drug’s price depends on numerous factors, including where you buy it. Most people get Celexa from a pharmacy. Others purchase it from the illegal drug market.
How Much Does Prescription Celexa Cost?
The price of prescription Celexa depends on the dosage, pharmacy, and your insurance plan’s copay. In addition, the generic form of citalopram likely costs less than brand-name Celexa.
You can also get a discounted price on the drug if you belong to a Patient Assistance Program or if you have a coupon or prescription discount card.
In general, a 30-day supply of brand-name Celexa costs about:
- $300 (10mg), $330 (20mg), or $365 (40mg) at Costco
- $330 (10mg), $340 (20mg), or $360 (40mg) at CVS Pharmacy
- $350 (10mg), $365 (20mg), or $390 (40mg) at Hannaford
- $350 (10mg, 20mg, and 40mg) at Kroger Pharmacy
- $370 (10mg) or $390 (20mg and 40mg) at Rite Aid
- $340 (10mg), $365 (20mg), or $390 (40mg) at Shaws
- $340 (10mg) or $365 (20mg and 40mg) at Stop & Shop
- $400 (10mg and 20mg) or $490 (40mg) at Walgreens
- $350 (10mg and 20mg) or $360 (40mg) at Walmart
- $350 (10mg), $365 (20mg), or $390 (40mg) at Wegmans
A 30-day supply of generic citalopram costs about:
- $15 (10mg) or $13 (20mg and 40mg) at Costco
- $30 (10mg), $20 (20mg), or $26 (40mg) at CVS Pharmacy
- $20 (10mg, 20mg, and 40mg) at Kroger Pharmacy
- $5 (10mg, 20mg, and 40mg) at Hannaford
- $60 (10mg), $65 (20mg), or $67 (40mg) at Rite Aid
- $16 (10mg), $17 (20mg), or $20 (40mg) at Shaws
- $7 (10mg, 20mg, and 40mg) at Stop & Shop
- $35 (10mg), $20 (20mg), or $30 (40mg) at Walgreens
- $5 (10mg, 20mg, and 40mg) at Walmart
- $20 (10mg) or $13 (20mg and 40mg) at Wegmans
How Much Does Celexa Cost On The Street?
In most cases, the street prices of Celexa and generic citalopram exceed the standard retail prices.
The exact cost depends on where you live. Celexa likely costs less in places where lots of people sell it. That’s because higher supply leads to lower prices. Usually, large cities have a higher supply of street Celexa than more rural areas.
Risks Of Using Celexa
Whether you buy it legally or illegally, Celexa can have adverse effects, including unpleasant side effects, negative drug interactions, and physical dependence.
According to the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Celexa’s most common side effects include:
- dry mouth
- stomach pain
- nausea and vomiting
- more frequent urination
- loss of appetite
- weight loss
- changes in sex drive or ability
In rare cases, Celexa can have more serious side effects, such as:
- chest pain
- hallucinations (seeing, hearing, or feeling things that aren’t there)
- trouble concentrating
- memory problems
- loss of consciousness
Celexa may also cause suicidal thoughts, especially in people who are under 24 or have bipolar disorder.
In addition, some people develop an allergic reaction to Celexa. Common signs of a Celexa allergy include rash, trouble breathing, and swelling of the face, lips, tongues, or throat.
Before starting Celexa, you should tell your healthcare provider about any other drugs you use. That’s because Celexa can have negative interactions with other substances.
For example, if you drink alcohol while taking Celexa, you may experience worsened depression.
Celexa can also interact negatively with other prescription drugs, including monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) and other substances that boost serotonin, like other selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors or the over-the-counter herbal supplement St. John’s Wort.
If you or someone you love is struggling to quit Celexa, please contact an Ark Behavioral Health specialist. We offer supervised medical detox, mental health counseling, and other evidence-based treatments for addiction.
United States Food and Drug Administration - Celexa Label
United States Food and Drug Administration - Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) Information
United States National Library of Medicine - Citalopram
Questions About Treatment?
Ark Behavioral Health offers 100% confidential substance abuse assessment and treatment placement tailored to your individual needs. Achieve long-term recovery.
100% confidential. We respect your privacy.
Our friendly support team is here to chat 24/7. Opt out any time.