Is Celebrate Recovery A 12-Step Program?
Celebrate Recovery is a Christ-centered 12-step program seeking to help those with addiction. Addiction comes in many forms and Celebrate Recovery understands this. That’s why they offer help with many addictions and compulsive behaviors, including:
- eating disorders
Celebrate Recovery’s twelve steps are based on biblical comparisons. Celebrate Recovery believes that, under the care of God, those participating in 12-step study groups or small groups can follow the word of Christ and say goodbye to their sinful nature.
The Biblical Comparisons Of Celebrate Recovery’s 12 Steps (Paraphrased)
1. We admit we are powerless over our addictions. (Romans 7:18)
2. We believe a higher power greater than ourselves can restore our sanity. (Philippians 2:13)
3. We decide to turn our lives over to God. (Romans 12:1)
4. We thoroughly searched ourselves. (Lamentations 3:40)
5. We admit to God, ourselves, and others the exact nature of our wrongs. (James 5:16)
6. We are entirely ready to have God remove all defects of character. (James 4:10)
7. We ask Jesus Christ to remove all our shortcomings. (I John 1:9)
8. We make amends to those we wronged. (Luke 6:31)
9. We make direct amends except when to do so might cause harm. (Matthew 5:23-24)
10. We admit when we are wrong. (1 Corinthians 10:12)
11. We pray and meditate for knowledge of God’s will. (Colossians 3:16a)
12. After having a spiritual experience as a result of this program, we carry the message to others. (Galatians 6:1)
In addition to the Celebrate Recovery 12-steps, there are eight recovery principles based on the Beatitudes of the Bible. This offers participants a clear path to recovery and salvation.
Benefits Of Celebrate Recovery
With Celebrate Recovery, you’ll have access to small groups, safe spaces, and recovery programs that can enrich your life. There are group guidelines that promote easy and educational conversations within your group, without worrying about interruptions or distractions.
There are other ways Celebrate Recovery can impact your life, including Zoom meetings and online forums. You can also take part in training conferences and the Celebrate Recovery Summit.
A History Of Celebrate Recovery
Celebrate Recovery began in 1991 at Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, California. John Baker wrote Pastor Rick Warren a 13-page single-spaced letter outlining a vision Baker claimed to receive from God.
In the letter were steps that outlined the road to recovery through verses in the Bible.
With Warren’s support, Celebrate Recovery was born. In the beginning, there were four open share groups. Today, there are fourteen unique groups that you can be a part of.
If you or a loved one needs help with addiction, please contact us today to learn about our rehab programs and treatment services.
Find A 12-Step Support Group Near You
Written by Ark Behavioral Health Editorial Team
©2023 Ark National Holdings, LLC. | All Rights Reserved.
This page does not provide medical advice.
Questions About Treatment?
Ark Behavioral Health offers 100% confidential substance abuse assessment and treatment placement tailored to your individual needs. Achieve long-term recovery.
100% confidential. We respect your privacy.
We've got you covered.
Receive 24/7 text support right away.
There is no obligation and you can opt out at any time.