New York City Addiction Treatment Options | Detox, Drug Rehab, FAQ
- How To Find Treatment In New York City
- NYC Addiction Treatment Programs
- Medical Detoxification
- Inpatient Treatment
- Outpatient Treatment
- Using Health Insurance For Addiction Treatment
- New York Substance Abuse Facts
- Treatment At Ark Behavioral Health
- New York City Addiction Treatment FAQ
New York City is known for its energy, creativity, and fast-paced environment. Sadly, many New Yorkers suffer from addiction.
Each year in New York City, over 1,700 residents die from alcohol related causes alone, and many New York City residents are also struggling with opioid misuse.
Luckily, NYC offers many treatment options for addiction. From Brooklyn to Manhattan and The Bronx, there are several drug and alcohol rehab centers available.
How To Find & Choose Addiction Treatment In New York City
If you’re a New York City resident who is ready to start the path to sobriety, you’re making a smart choice.
There are several ways that you can begin to learn more about your treatment options, including:
- contact an addiction treatment center directly
- use state-funded rehab resources via New York’s Office of Addiction Services and Supports (OASAS)
- call NYC’s treatment hotline at 1-888-NYC-WELL
When you’re searching to find the right treatment services for you, it can feel overwhelming to sort through all of the factors that make a treatment facility effective.
Some of the components of treatment that you may want to consider include:
- co-occurring disorder (dual diagnosis) treatment: if you’ve been diagnosed with another mental health disorder in addition to substance use disorder, it’s key to work with a treatment facility that can meet all of your mental health issues at once
- family involvement: leaning on your family members and loved ones for support in your recovery can be helpful, and you may want to choose a rehab center that involves your family in your long-term care plan
- evidence-based treatment: search for a treatment facility that provides evidence-based therapies, such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) or motivational interviewing
- continuum of care: when your treatment providers from each level of your treatment (detox, rehab, and aftercare) coordinate with one another, you can easily transition from one level to the next
- individualized treatment plans: a personalized plan increases the likelihood that your alcohol or drug addiction treatment will lead to long-term results
No two treatment plans should be exactly the same, as the type of care you need to beat alcohol or drug abuse depends on several factors, including your substance abuse and treatment history.
NYC Substance Abuse Treatment Programs
New York City offers residents many options for addiction treatment and mental health services, and the City is committed to providing residents with readily available resources.
There are many levels of drug and alcohol rehab in NYC, and the level of care that you need depends on where you’re currently at in your journey to recovery.
For many people who suffer from addiction, getting help from a medical detoxification program can be the first step. Detox can be a scary process, and going through withdrawal alone can be daunting and dangerous. These short-term programs help ease the process.
When you choose a detoxification program, you’ll be supervised by medical professionals who know how to support you. You may receive medication to make you as comfortably as possible, helping you to make a smooth transition to rehab.
If inpatient or residential drug rehab is a possibility for you, it can be highly effective. When you choose residential treatment, you get a chance to get away from the stress and triggers of everyday life, allowing you to fully focus on your recovery.
During residential treatment, you’ll have access to around the clock care. You’ll participate in several different therapies, including group therapy, one on one counseling, stress management, and other substance abuse services.
Inpatient treatment isn’t an option for everyone, and you can still get excellent care through an outpatient program.
Also referred to as intensive outpatient programs or partial hospitalization programs, outpatient services give you the care you need to begin or maintain your recovery while also allowing you to continue with the responsibilities of daily life.
Medication-assisted treatment can help you work through cravings and deal with the physical effects of alcohol addiction and opioid/opiate addiction.
Medication-assisted treatment uses a combination of behavioral therapies and FDA-approved medications like methadone or naltrexone to improve your chances of recovery.
Having a strong aftercare plan can include a variety of treatment services after your formal rehab program ends.
Some aftercare services include:
- job assistance
- support groups
- family counseling
- sober-living housing
- other relapse prevention services
Using Health Insurance For Addiction Treatment In New York City
The state of New York has recently enacted requirements for health insurance companies to offer customers addiction treatment support. This means that it’s highly likely that your addiction treatment will be partially or fully covered by your insurance.
Of course, this depends on your individual plan. You could have a Medicaid plan, Medicare plan, or a private health insurance plan.
For more information on how your insurance will work with your treatment, call the number on the back of your insurance card or contact a treatment center directly.
New York Substance Abuse Facts
If you’re an NYC resident who is suffering from addiction, you’re not alone.
Take a look at these statistics on drug and alcohol addiction in New York City:
- in the past 20 years, heroin use among NYC young adults has quadrupled
- from 2010 to 2017, overdose deaths in New York tripled
- many overdose deaths in New York City are caused by heroin mixed with fentanyl
- an opioid overdose occurs in NYC every six hours
- more than 80 percent of overdose deaths in New York City include opioids
Addiction Treatment At Ark Behavioral Health
At Ark Behavioral Health, we’re here to work with you to help you through the recovery process.
We offer several rehab centers throughout Massachusetts, including:
- Bedrock Recovery in Canton
- Northeast Addictions in Quincy
- Recovering Champions in Falmouth
- Spring Hill in Ashby
We have options for both residential and outpatient treatment, and we’re proud to serve New York City area residents. Reach out to us today to learn more.
New York City Addiction Treatment FAQ
How Do I Access Treatment In New York City?
Reach out via NYC’s treatment hotline at 1-888-NYC-WELL, or contact a treatment provider directly. New York State OASAS also provides resources for finding substance abuse treatment.
What Does Addiction Treatment Look Like In New York City?
Addiction treatment looks different from person to person, depending on your individual needs. Most people benefit from a combination of detox, residential treatment, outpatient treatment, and aftercare planning.
Does Health Insurance Cover Addiction Treatment In New York City?
For most people who have insurance, rehab is partially or completely covered, but this is not always the case. Reach out to your insurance company to learn more about the addiction treatment coverage offered by your individual plan.
Can I Go To Drug Rehab In New York City Without Insurance?
Yes, there are many non profit and state-funded programs that allow you to get the help you need without insurance. Many treatment providers also allow payment on a sliding scale.
Are There Walk-In Opioid Clinics In New York City?
Yes, there are several walk-in opioid clinics in NYC.
Are There Free Or State-Funded Rehab Centers In New York City?
There are several state funded rehab centers in NYC, allowing people who do not have health insurance or other ways to pay to get the help that they need.
Why Do I Need Addiction Treatment?
If you’re suffering from addiction, a comprehensive, individualized treatment plan is they best way to start your recovery. You deserve to live a happy, healthy life, and that begins with reaching out for help.
What Kind Of Treatment Is Best?
The type of treatment that makes the most sense for you will depend on your individual needs, personality, substance of choice, and other factors.
How Long Does Drug Rehab Last?
Most drug rehab programs last 30, 60, or 90 days.
Where Are Your Treatment Centers Located?
Ark Behavioral Health offers treatment in several Massachusetts locations, including Ashby, Canton, Falmouth, and Quincy.
New York Post - Heroin use jumps 33% among NYC teens: Health Department
New York-Presbyterian Health Matters - Getting Support to Survivors Right After Their Opioid Overdose
NYC Health - Alcohol & Drug Use Services
Questions About Treatment?
Ark Behavioral Health offers 100% confidential substance abuse assessment and treatment placement tailored to your individual needs. Achieve long-term recovery.
100% confidential. We respect your privacy.
We've got you covered.
Receive 24/7 text support right away.
There is no obligation and you can opt out at any time.