Tyler Sash | Hydrocodone & Methadone Overdose Death
How Tyler Sash Died
Tyler Sash died on September 8, 2015, at his home in Oskaloosa, Iowa, at the age of 27. According to the Iowa Office of the State Medical Examiner, his cause of death was accidental mixed drug toxicity involving methadone and hydrocodone.
A recent shoulder dislocation and a history of chronic shoulder pain may have contributed to Sash’s opioid use and death.
Months after his death, the Sash family confirmed that he also suffered from stage 2 chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a degenerative brain disease caused by head injuries.
About Tyler Sash
Tyler Jordan Sash was born on May 27, 1988, in Oskaloosa, Iowa. He played football and basketball at Oskaloosa High School, and eventually played safety for the Iowa Hawkeyes at the University of Iowa under head coach Kirk Ferentz.
Sash had 13 interceptions and 392 interception return yards during his NCAA career. He still ranks fifth in Big Ten college football history for return yards.
In 2011, Sash skipped his senior season and entered the NFL draft. He was selected in the sixth round by the New York Giants and played 23 games over two seasons with the team.
Sash was part of the Super Bowl XLVI championship squad in 2011 when he was a rookie, and again in 2012. He had 25 total tackles and one forced fumble during his brief NFL career.
In July 2012, a few months after his Super Bowl victory, Sash was suspended for four games by the NFL after he tested positive for Adderall. He was taking it for anxiety and claimed he didn’t know it was on the league’s banned substances list.
End Of NFL Career
Sash was cut from the team on August 31, 2013, after suffering his fifth concussion during the preseason finale against the New England Patriots. With his NFL career over, he and his girlfriend moved back to his hometown Oskaloosa.
Tyler Sash’s History Of Substance Abuse & Rehab
It’s unlikely that Tyler Sash had an issue with substance abuse beyond the event that led to his death. While he used Adderall for anxiety in the past, he had a prescription from a doctor and took it as prescribed. The same is likely true for the opioids that caused his untimely death.
As it doesn’t seem like Sash had an issue with substance abuse and/or addiction, and instead suffered from chronic pain and CTE, he likely never needed addiction treatment.
Recovery Is Possible
Although Sash’s death appears to be unrelated to substance abuse and addiction, prescription opioids are powerful drugs that should be used with caution and only as prescribed.
Bleacher Report - Tyler Sash's Autopsy Reveals Cause of Death to Be Accidental Mixed Drug Toxicity
ESPN - Former NFL player Tyler Sash overdosed on pain meds, autopsy shows
HawkCentral - Police report sheds light on Tyler Sash's death
KCCI Des Moines - Autopsy: Tyler Sash accidentally took fatal mixture of prescriptions
Questions About Treatment?
Ark Behavioral Health offers 100% confidential substance abuse assessment and treatment placement tailored to your individual needs. Achieve long-term recovery.
100% confidential. We respect your privacy.
Our friendly support team is here to chat 24/7. Opt out any time.